Objectives: As a Database Administrator, you will be responsible for providing operational support and maintenance in project environments. You will work closely with development and project teams to support these environments.
Description of the role
- Installation, configuration management, maintenance and support of the database environments
- Create and maintain database documentation – standards, policies and procedures
- Coordinate with development and production teams to ensure standards and policies are agreed and enforced
- Assist in tuning of SQL code and database migrations
- Support development teams by providing a stable database environment
- Monitor database performance, troubleshoot and recommend tuning measures as required
- Perform periodic health checks on database environments
- Database maintenance functions – backup and restore, start up and shutdown, troubleshoot connection and system failures, index and statistic maintenance and optimization
- Develop procedures and scripts that can be used by operational teams to perform routine backups, create users and monitor database issues
- Perform routine replication(cloning) and configuration of environments as and when required
- Offer advice and support on the design and planning of new and existing database objects, scripts and functionality
- Advise on development coding standards
- Create lightweight, portable scripts for automation of complex functions such as monitoring, database upgrades, database maintenance, data migration, metrics collection, analysis, audit evidence collection and data denormalization.
- Identify and analyze performance issues; suggest resolutions through database design improvement, indexing strategies and refactoring.
- Collaborate with developers on database design and participate in database capacity planning.
- Review SQL code and recommend optimizations while enforcing best practices.
- Evaluate and recommend database tools.
- Demonstrate an ability to be proactive and productive with minimal supervision.
Requirements of the role
• The role requires a high sense of ownership, and a focus on managing and resolving database requests
• Opportunity to take ownership of database related tasks, working closely with teams across the company, and be involved in hands on tasks ranging from development server set up to production server administration and troubleshooting
• Must be adaptable and willing to offer support in a variety of projects
- 3 years + of hands on SQL Server and Oracle DBA experience
- Experience in performance tuning and troubleshooting – query tuning, indexing, locking
- Knowledge of TSQL and PL/SQL
- Extensive experience performing RDBMS software installation, database creation, database sizing, establishment of backup and recovery procedures and scripts, database performance tuning.
- Capable of working with minimal supervision and meeting deadlines
- Strong time management, organization, analytical skills and the ability to identify opportunities for optimization and process improvement.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills (both oral & written) and the ability to work closely with various technical teams of all skill levels
Go getter, with the ability to work in a fast paced and evolving environment
- Ability to take ownership and be responsible for actions
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Self motivated and able to work on own initiative
- Well-developed time management skills, with ability to work to tight deadlines, whilst multi-tasking
- Ability to be flexible with respect to working hours, according to operational requirements
- Employee Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability (LTD) insurance
- Extended Health Benefit for Employees and Dependents
- Dental Benefits for Employees and Dependents
- Health Care Spending Account (Single and Family option)
- Group Retirement Program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Corporate gym membership fee options
- Additional holiday entitlement increases with length of service
- Employee referral scheme
- Professional Association subscriptions fee assistance
- Social Committee – events throughout the year
- Support with professional training and development