Objectives: The day-to-day management of development tools.
Description of the role
- Adapting methods and tools for effective use, by means of one or more of the following activities: tool development, process definition, hardware/software installation, customisation, testing and documentation.
- Maintains and supports the methods and tools used in development process.
- Carries out upgrades to tools used in development process.
- Assists in the provision of basic training in the use of methods and tools. Deals with users’ problems and queries in practice.
- Producing user guides and documentation for the methods and tools.
- Uses methods and tools in trials, under the direction of a project manager, identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the trial subject.
- Identifies and resolves issues with applications in own area of responsibility, following agreed procedures.
- Uses application management software and tools to collect agreed performance statistics.
- Carries out agreed application/software maintenance tasks in own area of responsibility.
- Provides assistance to users in a professional manner following agreed procedures for further help or escalation.
- Maintains accurate records of user requests, contact details and outcomes.
- Contributes to the development of tools installation procedures and standards.
- Designs, codes, tests, corrects, and document programs in own area of responsibility.
Requirements of the role
- 3+ years’ experience with development tools such as JIRA, Fisheye, Crucible, Subversion, GIT, Jenkins, Team City, Maven, and Sonar.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, an appreciation of overall practices and applications within IT, and the flexibility to interpret standards pragmatically.
- Experience in managing workshops to drive requirements and changes in tools and methods.
- Experience in implementing tools across many satellite locations.
- Has achieved proficiency in any Development Skill (java preferred), using a variety of methods and tools.
- Acquiring understanding of the underlying issues in simple problems or situations by correctly relating these to simpler or better understood concepts, models or previous experiences.
- Identifying gaps in the available information required to understand a problem or situation and devising means of remedying such gaps.
- Taking account of new information or changed circumstances and modifying understanding of a problem or situation accordingly.
- Understanding the needs of the internal or external customer and keeping them in mind when taking actions or making decisions.
- Meeting targets and fulfilling agreements even when adverse circumstances prevail.
- Familiar with organised and documented sets of techniques, intended to facilitate the structured development of applications.
- Familiar with software tools which automate or assist part of the development process.
- Aware of tools and techniques (manual or automated) which can be used to document an understanding of the structure, relationships and use of information within an organisation.
- Aware of methods and techniques associated with planning and monitoring progress of projects.
- Knowledge of agile development methodologies
- Knowledge of Integration plugins to JIRA, such as TaskTop
- Proven problem management and analytical capabilities.
- Ability to take ownership and be responsible for actions.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal).
- Attention to detail, with ability to produce clear, concise documentation.
- A supportive inspirational leader who works well as part of a team.
- Self motivated and able to work on own initiative.
- Professional image with well-developed time management skills, and the ability to work to tight deadlines, whilst multi-tasking.
- Ability to be flexible with respect to working hours, according to operational requirements and priorities.
- Private medical healthcare on completion of probation period
- Auto enrolment pension scheme
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Death in service benefit
- Free onsite parking
- Corporate gym membership options
- Associate car purchasing discounts – available with selected manufacturers
- 23 days holiday per year with the option to buy & sell 3 days
- Additional holiday entitlement increases with length of service
- Employee referral scheme
- Assistance with eye tests
- Professional Association subscriptions fee assistance
- Social Committee – events throughout the year
- Support with professional qualifications