Cloud Hosting Engineer
Summary: The individual brings a commercial and innovative mind-set to the role and demonstrates a strong sense of personal accountability to providing an end-to-end Hosting service to all stakeholders. Delivering managed services in public and private cloud hosting environment to a demanding client base. Excellent at working collaboratively with global technical and application teams, an effective communicator with the ability to engage effectively at all levels internally and client facing both written and verbally. Experience and understanding of information security issues and industry standards such as SSAE16 and ISAE3402.
Description of the role
- Build and maintain secure hosted environments primarily for public cloud using AWS and secondarily for private cloud using VMware.
- Manage appropriate Windows Server-based hosted environments (involving environment builds, network and storage management, firewall and switch configuration, patching, monitoring, etc.).
- Deploying and maintaining White Clarke Group software (built on Java, JBoss\WildFly stack, leveraging SQL Server or Oracle databases).
- Liaising with DevOps and Service Delivery teams to ensure consistent delivery of software services.
- Ensure that White Clarke Group Hosting Service complies with relevant national and international industry and quality regulations and frameworks incl. SSAE16 and ISAE3402 (which we attest to).
- Remain up to date with the latest developments within the IT industry and apply them to White Clarke Group where appropriate.
- Work with the team to design and deploy effective security policies, processes and procedures in line with industry bench-marks and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure quality, up-to-date documentation exists for the hosted services.
- Ensure that the appropriate supporting tools and processes are implemented to enable effective monitoring of the hosted platforms in line with contractual obligations, SLAs/KPIs.
- Instil a high performance culture in the team with a focus on team work and service excellence.
- Able to motivate and coach other team members in order for them to realise their potential.
- Take responsibility for customer escalations and act as a point of escalation both in and out of hours as required.
- Prioritise activities according to client need and group strategy.
- Undertake other projects and roles as required from time to time by senior management.
Requirements of the role
- Commercial experience delivering services through Amazon Web Services (utilising most of the following: EC2, VPC, ALB, ELB, Route53, WAF, EBS, S3, Glacier, AutoScaling and CloudFormation).
- Preferable to also have experience with VMware.
- Good understanding of IP networking (both physical and virtual), DNS and Active Directory, SSL certificates (and PKI in general).
- Experience of building hosting environments from the ground up, including activities from design through building to maintaining.
- Experience working with databases, with key understanding of SQL queries, backup & recovery strategies (SQL Server, Oracle).
- Ability to analyse traffic for common services (DNS, FTP, email etc.).
- Exposure to enterprise monitoring tools.
- Experience of Java Application Server management (JBoss, WildFly etc.).
- Strong mind-set to enforce security standards, both in the environments and when collaborating with teams.
- Experience of designing and implementing DR strategies.
- Specific technologies are: AWS (essential), Hyper-V\VMware (preferred), Windows Server, big-brand firewalls, physical servers and switches.
- Proven analytical capabilities.
- Ability to take ownership and be responsible for actions.
- Ability to communicate effectively (both written and verbal).
- Attention to detail, with ability to produce clear, concise documentation.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative.
- Professional image.
- Well-developed time management skills, with ability to work to tight deadlines, whilst multitasking.
- Ability to be flexible with respect to working hours, according to operational requirements.
White Clarke Group are committed to welcoming people with disabilities with respect to recruitment, employment, training, career development and career progression and welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- Private medical healthcare on completion of probation period
- Auto enrolment pension scheme
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Death in service benefit
- Free onsite parking
- Corporate gym membership options
- Associate car purchasing discounts – available with selected manufacturers
- 23 days holiday per year with the option to buy & sell 3 days
- Additional holiday entitlement increases with length of service
- Employee referral scheme
- Assistance with eye tests
- Professional Association subscriptions fee assistance
- Social Committee – events throughout the year
- Support with professional qualifications