Senior Hosting Engineer
Summary: Our Senior Hosting engineers are expected to bring a commercial and innovative mindset and demonstrate a strong sense of personal accountability when providing end-to-end hosting services to all stakeholders. You will be delivering managed services in public and private cloud hosting environments.
Description of the role
This is what our Senior Hosting Engineer’s day to day might look like;
- Build and maintain secure hosted environments primarily for public cloud using AWS and secondarily for private cloud using VMware.
- Manage appropriate Windows Server-based hosted environments (involving environment builds, network and storage management, firewall and switch configuration, patching, monitoring, etc.).
- Deploying and maintaining White Clarke Group hosted software solutions built on Java, JBoss\WildFly stack, leveraging SQL Server or Oracle databases.
- Liaising with the DevOps and Service Delivery teams to ensure consistent delivery of software services.
- Ensure that White Clarke Group hosting services comply with relevant national and international industry and quality regulations and frameworks incl. SSAE16 and ISAE3402.
- Work with the rest of the hosting team to design and deploy effective security policies, processes and procedures in line with industry benchmarks and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that the appropriate supporting tools and processes are implemented to enable effective monitoring of the hosted platforms in line with contractual obligations, SLAs and KPIs.
- Instil a high-performance culture in the team with a focus on teamwork and service excellence.
- Ensure quality, up-to-date documentation exists for all hosted services.
- Able to motivate and coach other members of the team.
- Take responsibility for customer escalations and act as a point of escalation both in and out of hours as required.
- Prioritise activities according to client need and group strategy.
- Remain up to date with the latest developments within the IT industry and apply them to White Clarke Group where appropriate.
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation for use with internal and external teams.
- Providing realtime updated on reported incidents from a hosting perspective.
- Creating, delivering and presenting system reports including; Monthly/ quarterly client system reports, incident reports and updates, infrastructure plans and executions, system fixes and workarounds.
- Undertake other projects and roles as required from time to time by senior management.
- Responsibility for cost management, there will some elements of research with different AWS plans to optimise White Clarke Group Costs.
- Project Management, this role will define, document and implement AWS environments to support client needs.
- Working within global architecture standards to define the appropriate environments based upon project objectives and non-functional requirements.
- Providing the Technical Governance Board with new AWS innovations to ensure that the global architecture standards are continuously developed.
Requirements of the role
- Commercial experience delivering services through Amazon Web Services (utilising the following: EC2, VPC, ALB, ELB, Route53, WAF, EBS, S3, Glacier, AutoScaling and CloudFormation).
- AWS Solution Architect certified or AWS SysOps Administrator certificated are required.
- AWS Professional or speciality certificate is required.
- Experience with VMware is also preferable.
- Good understanding of IP networking (both physical and virtual), DNS and Active Directory, SSL certificates (and PKI in general).
- Experience of building hosting environments from the ground up, including activities from design through building to maintaining.
- Experience with monitoring tools such as CloudWatch.
- Experience working with databases, with a key understanding of SQL queries, backup & recovery strategies (SQL Server, Oracle).
- Application and platform analysts tools such as AppDynamics/PRTG.
- Ability to analyse traffic for common services (DNS, FTP, email etc.).
- Exposure to enterprise monitoring tools.
- Experience of Java Application Server management (JBoss, WildFly etc.).
- Security focussed mindset to enforce security standards, both in the environments and when collaborating with teams.
- Experience in designing and implementing DR strategies.
- Specific technologies used are AWS (essential), Hyper-V\VMware (preferred), Windows Server, big-brand firewalls, physical servers and switches.
- Experience and understanding of information security issues and industry standards such as SSAE16 and ISAE3402.
White Clarke Group are committed to welcoming people with disabilities with respect to recruitment, employment, training, career development and career progression and welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- Competitive CTC and benefits package.
- Outstanding career and development prospects
- Support with professional certifications.
- Flexible working.
- Health Insurance.
- Death in service benefit.
- 15 days holiday that increases with length of service
- Option to buy more holiday.
- Generous Employee Referral Scheme.
- Various companywide social events.
- Provident Scheme.